Flempton Forge is a Grade II listed building, built from brick and flint in the early 1800’s.
The Parish of Flempton cum Hengrave was founded in 1589. It incorporates the two villages of Hengrave and Flempton which are situated on the A1101 Mildenhall Road approximately five miles to the east of historic Bury St Edmunds. Flempton takes its name from its founders who came from Flanders (Flemings) and settled the area in Anglo-Saxon times.
The Forge served the Hengrave Estates until the early 1900’s, when it was bought by the family named Pryke, they continued to be the Blacksmiths until the mid 1960’s. The property remained in the Pryke family until it was purchased in 1988 by a niece of John Pryke, Julie Wright.
During the 1st World War, Flempton Forge made and shoed the artillery horses from the local barracks.